Thursday, January 18, 2024

Spicy Tomato Strawberry Chutney

 
Spicy Tomato Strawberry Chutney

I had fresh tomatoes and strawberries on hand, so I decided to make a chutney. In a medium sauce pan sauté one shallot in a bit of olive or avocado oil till soft. Then add two seeded jalapeno peppers chopped fine. Add three minced garlic cloves and one inch minced ginger and sauté for one more minute. Now add seasonings of salt and pepper, then spices of ground anise seed, dried basil, dried cilantro, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground mustard, and dried thyme and let them bloom in the heat for a minute. Next add 1-1/2 pints of chopped strawberries, stems removed, and 1-1/2 pints of chopped tomatoes, (or 4 large tomatoes). Next add three tablespoons of brown sugar. Add the juice of one lime and one lemon. (If you wish you can add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar instead of citrus). Simmer on low for an hour or so till mixture reduces and thickens. Stir occasionally and especially near the end so nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.

Taste the chutney at the end of cooking and adjust the spices and seasonings (careful not to burn your mouth). I don't measure most items because, after many years of cooking, I've learned to estimate what I need. I pour the spices into the palm of my hand and then add to the ingredients. That way if I pour too much I can always get it back in the jar. I love the chestnut color the brown sugar brings to the chutney.  If you prefer a brighter red, use white sugar instead. You can puree the chutney, but to me chutney should be chunky. This chutney would enhance any chicken, fish, or pork dish. Why not spread it on bread, crackers, or use as a dip with chips. You can store the chutney in an air tight container in the fridge for up to three months. In fact chutney improves in flavor over time. Enjoy !

2 comments:

  1. Now that is a combination I wouldn't have thought of. Enjoy. And yes, chutney should indeed be chunky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have normally either but they both needed to be used up, lol

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment