Sunday, April 21, 2024

From Scratch-Creamy Green Bean Casserole

 

From Scratch-Creamy Green Bean Casserole

Slice one large yellow onion in half then slice halves in slices and break apart slices. In a medium sauce pan place a bit of olive oil to caramelize the onions on low to slow cook till they turn golden brown, stirring occasionally. (I didn't want fried crunchy onions). Meanwhile I cut one 16 ounce package of thin green beans I bought from Aldi and cut them into bite sized pieces. I steamed the green beans till they were al dente. Next I gently mixed the green beans and onions with one teaspoon sea salt and set the mixture aside in a serving bowl.

I sautéed 8 ounces of small quartered button mushrooms in two tablespoons of butter. Stir to coat with butter then cover and sauté gently till soft. Add the mushrooms to the green beans and onions.

 In the same saucepan you used for the mushrooms, add 1/4 pint of heavy cream, one teaspoon dried thyme, one half teaspoon white pepper, along with a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon mixed with 2 tablespoons of water) to make a gravy. Stir constantly so cornstarch slurry doesn't settle out. When slightly thick add to green bean mixture and serve immediately. You could also serve this over rice or pasta. Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment