Saturday, April 20, 2024

Ichiban Eggplant and Shishito Peppers

 

Ichiban Eggplant and Shishito Peppers

Gary happened to be in another town and he found some Ichiban Eggplant and some Shishito Peppers. He got 4 eggplant and 9 shishito pepper plants.

I hope the shishitos do well because in summer we both would eat a plate full of them every day if we had them. Shishito peppers are that delicious. Every year I've had shishito peppers I've said I never had a hot one, but last year we had a couple of them. Even those were not overly hot. These peppers are eaten when they are green, but, thankfully, they do not taste like a green bell pepper which I dislike. You have to try the shishito to see what it tastes like because an accurate description eludes me. I usually just blister the peppers in a hot cast iron pan, but there are many different ways you can use these peppers.

As for the Ichiban Eggplant, I have not grown this variety before but I did make a recipe I really liked with this variety of eggplant last year. The recipe is called Donburi or poached Japanese eggplant. The Ichiban eggplant has a more mild flavor compared to the globe eggplant which I have grown before. Now that I have these all planted I see that temperatures are to drop on Sunday and Monday night. Whoa is me; will have to cover all of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment