Friday, July 26, 2019

Shishitos with Furikake Rice

Finally we harvested enough shishito peppers to make a meal. Researching recipes on the net I saw shishito peppers would be a good accompaniment for furikake (foo-ree-kah-kay) rice. Furikake rice is topped with a spice mixture of nori (seaweed), flaked salt, toasted sesame seeds, and bonito flakes (dried tuna). I had nori, salt, and sesame seeds but no bonito flakes. I decided to proceed anyway.
Blister the shishitos in a hot frying pan with a small amount of high temperature oil. Meanwhile cook the sashimi rice (or any rice). While the rice is cooking, separately toast the sesame seeds then add them to the chopped nori and flaked salt in a bowl. Behind the scenes steep some green tea buds and pour into a small cup. I hesitated at the idea of pouring green tea over furikake topped rice but I pushed on. It's actually quite good. Pouring the green tea over the rice is the dish called Ochazuke. This meal was savory and light and makes me appreciate Japanese cuisine and aesthetic.
I've been busy making lots of work because I was running out of plates, soap dishes, butter dishes, sponge holders, a few small vases, and some ornaments. I tried out my cork mounted texture stamps and they work great. Can't wait to see how they turn out. In the garden the shasta daisies are blooming. I'll be at the farmer's market on Saturday. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for tasty new food combinations.
    I am really glad your texture stamps worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another interesting food combination, Linda. Sounds and looks delicious! Yum! I'm about to make my lunch...so you've heightened my appetite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, thanks, I was afraid the glue wouldn't hold but it did well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, thanks, who would think that tea over rice would be good ? have a good lunch.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment