Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Stuffed Honeynut Squash & Marinated Mozzarella Pearls

 

Stuffed Honeynut Squash & Marinated Mozzarella Pearls

Honeynut squash is a cultivar cross between butternut and buttercup squash. Think of it as a mini winter squash. The beauty of honeynut squash is, it is smaller than the usual winter squash, and it packs more nutrition than most winter squash. I saw these at the grocery store and thought of making a stuffed squash recipe. This is another recipe which takes a bit of time because the squash should be cooked before stuffing but I think the end result is worth the effort. (Tasted alone this squash really doesn't need to be stuffed, it is very delicious without anything accoutrements). 

A whole butternut squash would be too much for Gary and I, so I'm glad the honeynut squash was developed.

I've cut the squash in half lengthwise, removed the pith and seeds, and separated the seeds to save. I  don't have the room to grow squash here but maybe someone else does. I placed the honeynut squash face side down in a glass baking dish and added one cup of water. I baked it at 350 F for 30 minutes. I also peeled and chopped up one small eggplant, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked it in another glass baking dish for the same length of time. Meanwhile I sautéed one half a red onion. I mixed the eggplant, onions, 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs, some fresh chopped parsley, salt and pepper and stuffed the squash. I sprinkled the top with some grated asiago cheese and baked it again for 30 minutes. The squash was quite tasty and really doesn't need anything to be stuffed inside. I'll get this squash again.
To marinate the mozzarella pearls I added olive oil, lemon zest and juice, made a chiffonade of fresh basil leaves, and a dash of maple syrup (because I put too much lemon juice in and didn't have any agave syrup or honey handy). I let the pearls marinate for one hour and served them alongside the stuffed honeynut squash. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

1 comment:

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment