Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Stupendous Smoked Pepper Jam

 
Stupendous Smoked Pepper Jam

Oh my goodness, now that the jam has been refrigerated it is a nice consistency and a beautiful dark color. I put a small amount into a container and we tasted the jam and it was stupendous if I do say so myself. Next time I will smoke the peppers whole but then slice them and roast them to remove some of the moisture. I used Mrs. Wages pectin which I have not used before. I would leave out the poblano because the pepper was a bit tough and I'd substitute a jalapeno. I'm imagining this sauce would be wonderful over some wings, a pork chop, a baked potato, maybe with some cream cheese on a cracker, or just about anything. The sauce has just the right amount of smoke which is what I was after.

3-4 cups of sweet peppers, your choice
6 or so shishito peppers
1 poblano pepper
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups cane sugar
1/4 cup agave syrup or honey
2 packets of Sure Jell pectin or one of Mrs. Wages
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Smoke your peppers. I smoked them whole but you may also smoke them sliced which imparts more smoky flavor. I only wanted a subtle smoke flavor. Let peppers cool then seed and chop medium fine. If you want more of a jelly, mince peppers much smaller. Sterilize your canning jars. I put my jars, rings, and lids in the dishwasher to sterilize.

In a large sauce pan, (larger then you think you may need because mixture will boil up), add the apple cider vinegar, then sugar, then chopped peppers and salt, and stir well. Cook on medium high till mixture comes to a rolling boil and boil for 10 minutes to reduce in volume. If you smoke sliced peppers you only need to boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 packets of dry pectin and whisk or stir very well. Put back on heat and boil for one minute. Let jam sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly.

Place sterilized jars on a dish towel. Ladle sauce into sterilized jars, wipe rim with a vinegar soaked towel to remove any potential droplets of jam. Place lids and rings on jars. Let jars sit undisturbed till you hear the lids pop. Store in refrigerator when cool for up to 3 weeks. Water bath 10 minutes and for each 1000 foot elevation add one minute to water bath time. Water bathing makes for shelf stable jam which does not need to be refrigerated. Stay tuned for updates to this recipe; it's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment