Monday, April 1, 2019

Crabapple and Greek Millet Salad

My crabapple is just starting to bloom this year. Unfortunately tonight temperatures are expected to dip down to 25 F.
This is the crabapple two years ago, I don't know if you can see the difference but this winter we pruned a number of the lower branches especially the ones on the left. The tree was leaning over the block wall and I didn't want it to uproot itself with the lopsided weight.
Every week I try new grains and recipes. Since I must be gluten free I tried millet this week. Millet is the seed of a grass which grows in dry arid conditions. It used as fodder and for human consumption. The grains are slightly larger than quinoa. One cup of dry millet produces 3 cups of cooked millet. I used Bob's Red Mill. I just read that millet can cause low thyroid so I will consume this ingredient in moderation since I tend towards an underactive thyroid I suppose quinoa could be substituted for this same salad.
For this Greek Millet Salad I cooked the millet like rice and set it aside. Millet is mild tasting and takes on the flavors added. I sauteed 1/4 onion, 2 stalks of celery, and pre-steamed finely chopped carrots and baby peas. Once the millet was cool I added the sauteed ingredients, the carrots and baby peas, and one can of garbanzo beans. I added half a cup of mint leaves picked from my garden and the juice of6 two lemons. Oh I almost forgot I had a few dried dates which I chopped and added as well. This salad is quick and easy to make; I imagine it would be very refreshing in the summer when a light meal is desired. Today is the first day of the month, white rabbit to you all. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. This does sound delicious! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, this is so quick and easy to make; takes half the time to cook than rice.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious

    https://henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hena, thanks, good the next day too.

      Delete
  3. How I love crabapples. I still mourn the one we had which someone in the street took to with a chain saw.
    And hooray for alternative grains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, took a chainsaw, I would have, well I would have thought of it, how could they.

      Delete
  4. Your crabapple looks so beautiful... look like Sakura when blooming.

    Hope, everything goes well with your plants

    # I follow you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanza, thanks, it is really spectacular when in bloom, I have planted a red leaved one next to it but it is young so very few blossoms and branches.

      Delete
  5. What a delicately stunningly beautiful tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee, thanks, I hated to prune it but I thought I better so it didn't uproot itself in high winds and lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment