Sunday, April 7, 2019

Native Cherry Trees are Bloming

Native cherry trees are all a bloom this time of year. One of my neighbors has a particularly beautiful native cherry tree. Last year a big branch broke off of it. He was devastated. I don't have much in common with him but our love of that cherry tree we can agree upon wholeheartedly. His tree inspired me to make this bowl.
I used slips colored with mason stains for the hand painted decoration. For the trunk I used my fingers to mottle the bark of the trunk. I begin by painting with the clay slips on a flat round piece of clay. Next I slump the decorated round clay design into a bowl form. I use a dry sponge to ease the clay into the bowl form, being careful not to mar the design. The underside is glazed in a raspberry glaze which I purposefully let drip a bit over the rim. The interior is glazed in a clear satin matt glaze. I still have this bowl in my studio display room. I might let it go to a new home this year. The bowl is about 4.5 inches tall and 10 inches across. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. Great to have your technique. I love ornamental cherry trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, they are lovely around here; only thing is they loose their leaves very early in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I tried to make it again and I failed, sometimes it's just luck with certain pieces.

      Delete
  4. That is an incredibly beautiful bowl.
    I understand your neighbour's devastation too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, yes it's difficult to lose or find a misshapen tree that has grown so stately over time.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment