Friday, August 2, 2019

Truffle Almond Potatoes Au Gratin

Some recipes turn out great but need to be tweaked. That's the case with this recipe. I planned on making Potatoes Au Gratin with cheddar cheese. When I got the ingredients made I noticed I had some slivered almonds in the cupboard. Then I remembered I had some truffle oil in the refrigerator. I decided to add the almonds to the top of the cracker crumbs and I also added a bit of truffle oil into the cheese mixture. It only takes a dab, don't over do it with the oil.

The tweaking is the cheese needs to be changed to a more mild white cheese. What type of cheese do you think I should use? Gruyere? Mozzarella? Jack? This dish was still worth eating.
This summer we've had rain almost every day so we haven't needed to water much at all which is nice. But many days have been rather cloudy and gray. I came across this juice cup from years ago and it brightened my mind. After hand building the cup I added strips of clay in a random pattern. For cups and tumblers without handles, some texture on the exterior makes the piece easier to handle or pick up. I dabbed underglaze on the cup in a random pattern and then bisque fired it. I glazed it with a clear. I might have to try more like this. Tomorrow I'll be at the Union County Farmers Market from 7 am to 1 pm. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the markets.
    My wobbly hands/grasp appreciate texture.
    And I always tweak recipes depending on what is in the fridge/cupboards at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, thanks, yes my hands also appreciate texture, dh has arthritis so good for those folks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of the name of this dish. I think you're right about a mild white cheese being good with those other flavors. Salivating just thinking of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara, thanks, I like making a large dish because I don't have to cook every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your au gratin looks and sounds delicious. Preferably, I would use a tasty cheddar, but that's just to my taste. Then, again, I have used mozzarella...with some grated or shredded parmesan added for good measure - extra flavour. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment