Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Firewise

We've been spending some time watering because we're now in a drought here in Georgia. We've had no rain in several weeks. With higher than normal temperatures and lower humidity, the forests are bone dry. The fire department came to our farmers market and talked to us about being firewise. Click the link on firewise for information about how you can be more firewise for your home and the land surrounding you. The firewise organization helps educate the public about being firewise. Of course we all know about Smokey the Bear here in the United States which is one of the longest running ad campaigns.

Some things to think about:  check your smoke alarms, plan escape routes out of your home and/or community, organize a bag of items you might need if you have to leave your home suddenly, etc.

I think I've mentioned it before; I leave a water bowl filled up out of doors for the critters and insects to have a water supply. I place a rock in the water so the insects can escape if they land the water. I notice squirrels and birds come by to take a drink. I regularly change the water so mosquitoes don't breed in the standing water. Stay safe out there. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Our fire season started early this year. Much of the country is tinder dry and I am dreading summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, terrible when it starts out dry at the beginning of summer.

      Delete
  2. Linda, we haven't had rain in our area of Texas (North) in quite a while either. Despite all the rain the areas around Houston had recently - nothing here. So I sympathize.
    We always have water out front and back for the ferals.. and occasionally the box turtles and toads help themselves. Glad to know that you do this also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks, I am amazed that the birds and animals seem to know right where the water is here.

      Delete
  3. We are entering a dry spell too Linda. Our forecast shows no rain for several days. Wondering if it will go on longer after reading this. You have a kind heart leaving water out for the critters. Your comment reminded me that I have to fill up the water bowl outside as I noticed it was getting very low yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, I used to leave the water out for our outdoor cat but then I noticed that all the other critters were using it too, so now I keep it out for them even though the cat is long since gone. Even in winter I have to throw out the frozen water and put new water in.

      Delete
  4. Drought....a very bad drought...is affecting many areas throughout Australia....many bushfires have been raging here in Queensland and in New South Wales.

    It's an uphill battle. Our poor farmers and graziers have been suffering for far too long. I don't know how they get through the many years of drought conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, we are praying for no fires here but it just goes to show that we are subject to the whims of mother nature.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment