Friday, November 1, 2019

Coconut Curry Carrot Soup

At the last two farmers market days I was lucky to find some really beautiful carrots and fresh ginger. I decided to make a soup. I started with an onion chopped fine and sauteed, then 3 stalks of celery also chopped fine. I also added one small red bell pepper to help with the color of the soup. To that I added one inch of peeled ginger minced. Next I added some madras curry powder and turmeric to let them brown a bit. Then I added all the sliced carrots and some vegetable stock, about four cups. Since the vegetable stock had salt I didn't add any additional salt. I had to add an additional two cups of water to cover the vegetables. I brought the mixture to a boil and then let it simmer for about an hour to soften the vegetables.
When the vegetables were very soft, I blended them up smooth. Last I added one can of unsweetened coconut milk. I tasted the mixture and it needed a little sweetening. I added a bit of brown sugar and some honey and a dash of cayenne pepper. There is nothing better than fresh vegetables in a soup. Since it's 27 F this morning I think this spicy soup is going to be just what we'll want for lunch. White rabbit to you all. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like the perfect fall/winter soup.
    Your temps are much colder that ours. We are having days in the high 50s and low 60s with nights in the 40s.
    Some years we don’t have frost until Thanksgiving...toes crossed.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, it just turned cold last night, a cold front went through after two days of rain. Maybe it's headed up to you in a couple of days. I think last year was much warmer. Next week will warm back up again a bit.

      Delete
  2. Yummy sounding soup! It's cold here this morning, after the rain storms of the last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, thanks, we got the same storm you did I guess and then it turned cold. The carrots are good for the eyes they say, not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not for me. I prefer my carrots raw. I hope you both enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, thanks, oh too bad it was delicious and more for tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds good Linda, I'm going to put this on my list. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a delicious soup!! I've not had it in a long, long time. I'll have to rectify the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise, thanks, when I get carrots from the grocery it takes forever for them to soften, these didn't take long at all.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment