Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Vegetables, Covered then Uncovered

 It was so warm the end of March we decided to start our vegetables. We refreshed our raised bins with aged compost and went to work.
We knew there was a risk of some frost and of course we've had quite a number of days this month. We've had to search far and near for containers to cover the plants each night when it drops below 50 F.
It's rather monotonous covering each plant, only to uncover them in the morning. Of course it's not like we're going anywhere or doing much else.
 Hopefully all our trouble will be worth it with an early harvest.
We've planted lettuce, tomatoes, broccoli, and peppers. We also planted basil, dill, and cilantro. Some varieties we planted are mammoth jalapeno, shishito and giant marconi peppers. We have romaine and red leaf lettuce growing. I find myself craving a Caesar salad with anchovies and parmesan cheese.
I like to plant small and cherry size tomato varieties because they ripen daily. We don't have all day sun at our location due to tall trees on our east and west perimeter. Tomatoes we planted are sweet one hundreds, chocolate sprinkles, yellow pear, and Little Napoli, a compact roma.

We have a new bin Gary made where we'll grow some burpless cucumbers on a trellis. It's too early to plant those. Other seeds I'll start include icicle and cherry bell radish, blue lake beans, carrots, and beets. Hope you are all doing well.

8 comments:

  1. Love your productive use of your time.
    And mmmm, fresh herbs and vegetables. They always make the store bought varieties taste of dust and cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, yes home grown is always better.

      Delete
  2. You are going to have a lot of veggies considering your limited sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, if I have too many I give them to my neighbors. I might give any extras to a local food bank this year as I am sure folks would love some fresh grown.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks nice so far. I am too lazy to do mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gigi, thanks, I am wondering if fresh produce can be contaminated with the virus so I am not buying any right now but only frozen hence my increase in growing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who needs to go out shopping when home-grown is there...and is best? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment