Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Burpless Cucumbers

Two days ago we had one burpless cucumber and enjoyed it sliced with salt and freshly ground pepper. I peeled them but the skin of this variety is very thin and not bitter so it isn't necessary to peel them.
Today we have four more burpless cucumbers. I may have to make some spicy refrigerator pickles (click link for recipe). These cucumbers are about twelve inches long.
Here  you can see them growing on the trellis we made for them. The stems are strong enough to hold onto the cucumbers while they grow. When grown on a trellis the cucumbers tend to grow straighter and they won't lie on the ground and they get less insect damage. For the support we used para-cord stretching it from the top of the bin to the bottom of the upstairs deck using staples. By tomorrow the vines will be up to the top railing of the deck. Guess we'll have to run the cucumber vines along the railing before they climb over.

Be Safe, Be Well.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, I have just put cucumbers on our list as I found a cucumber and tomato salad recipe that I wanted to try. Yours look very healthy and I was interested in how you grow them. Thank you and you be safe and well also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, we filled our bin with potting soil with fertilizer already in it and we fertilize with osmocote slow release granuals and fish emulsion. I hope to have more tomatoes ripe soon

      Delete
    2. Hello again, thank you for the tips. I will bookmark this post for sure :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Denise, thanks, no problem. We have been having to water the cucumbers twice a day now since it has gotten so hot.

      Delete
  2. I love these . I make cucumber salads everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shilpa, thanks, I plan on making salads, pickles and tzatziki, and maybe some cucumber soup

      Delete
  3. Oh I should try burpless cukes...since long ago I gave up eating the others. I made bread and butter pickles once...refrigerator kind. They were sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I was just thinking about you since you hadn't published in a while; I made the bread and butter pickles last year and they were delicious I will probably make some this year too.

      Delete
  4. What a great technique to keep them off the ground - and they are obviously thriving on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, thanks, thankfully one crop this year is doing really well. Just sliced up my bread and butter pickles ready to can tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment