Monday, July 20, 2020

Cool Cucumber Soup

I'm sure you've heard the expression, "Cool as a Cucumber"? If you make this soup you'll definitely be able to appreciate the phrase. Yesterday we picked six burpless cucumbers, so I've been thinking of ways to use them.

Cool Cucumber Soup

4 burpless cucumbers peeled and grated
1 small yellow onion chopped fine and sauteed
3 cloves of garlic chopped fine and sauteed
1 lemon, zest and juice
1/4 cup of fresh flat leaf parsley chopped fine (I grew my own)
2 tsp of dried Spanish tarragon (I dried my own)
2 tsp of dried dill
2 dashes of dried cayenne pepper
1 dash of Worcestershire
2 dashes of fish sauce
sea salt and white pepper to taste
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
Saute the onion till soft but not brown. Add the garlic for a minute or so. Remove from the heat. Let the onion and garlic cool completely. In a blender add the grated cucumbers, spices, lemon zest and juice, and all the other ingredients, (except the yogurt) including the cooled onion and garlic. Blend till smooth.
Last add the cup of Greek yogurt. Whirl gently, just till blended. Pour into soup bowls. I garnished with fresh chopped tomato, dill and red onions. The bits of green you see in the soup are from the parsley. You know it's good when dh asks for a second helping.

Be Well, Be Safe

12 comments:

  1. Great idea to have a cold soup. I'm going to try this. thank you Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, it's good the next day as well.

      Delete
  2. I am sure it is lovely - for those who like cucumbers. And a big hooray for cooling soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, we are going to be inundated with cucumbers.

      Delete
  3. It has been a few years since I've made cucumber soup.

    It's hot soup weather here at present...and hot soup is what I intend to have today for my lunch! :)

    Take good care, Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, soups are the best aren't they. Be well.

      Delete
  4. baru saja saya makan, tetapi melihat ini saya merasa lapar lagi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abasozora, thanks, very nice to have on a hot day in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try this. We're bursting at the seams with cucumbers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, thanks, we are too, I just found out that if you don't put the yogurt in the soup, you can freeze it, just don't fill the containers too full as it expands due to all the liquid in the cucumbers.

      Delete
  7. that looks very attractive and cool. Meanwhile we are in winter mode and I'm cooking up hot vege soup to keep us warm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anna, thanks, apparently this can be served warm as well, haven't tried it that way though.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment