Friday, August 28, 2020

Spicy Maple Smoked Mixed Nuts

1 egg white, whipped till foamy (not stiff)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 tsp dried ground ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups nut halves, I used unsalted mixed nuts
From soup to nuts these are some of the recipes you've seen here. You all know I'm always making soups; this week I decided to make some smoked nuts. Not every recipe I attempt is worth repeating and this sadly is one. Too sticky, not that tasty, and too much work for the outcome. Perhaps you have suggestions to add to this nutty experiment?

Whip egg white till foamy but not stiff. Add maple syrup and spices and stir till well blended. Last add nuts and mix well, being careful not to break up the nuts.
Pour mixture on a cooking sheet lined with aluminum foil and parchment paper on top of that. Spread out nuts so they aren't crowded. Smoke for 20 to 30 minutes (depending upon the heat level of your smoker) in your favorite smoker.

After smoking let the nuts sit for a couple of hours to give the coating time to solidify. Some experimentation is needed to adjust the level of smoke you desire. These Spicy Maple Mixed Nuts can also be done with a dome shaped BBQ unit.  If you don't want smoked nuts you could even bake them in the oven. Check out a few you-tube videos for examples. (That's where I got my ideas for this recipe).

Be Safe, Be Well

6 comments:

  1. Not of me. I prefer my nuts raw. And definitely not sticky.
    Good luck finding a recipe which works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I am going back to raw and unsalted.

      Delete
  2. Tasty, indeed! I've always got a large jar filled with mixed raw nuts...well...it's not always filled to the top, because I do eat them. But, I do keep it topped up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a long time since I tried anything like this with nuts. But I do love them. Looks tasty and thank you for giving them a review. Tips are very helpful when trying something new, as it would be for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, I think I'll be sticking to just plain unsalted nuts from now on.

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment