Monday, May 3, 2021

Mediterranean Black Rice Salad

 

source
            SALAD:

  • 1 cup black rice, cooked and cooled
  • 1 cup mixed colors of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • Heaping 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup diced mozzarella cheese balls or pieces
  • 2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
  • 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, cashews, or walnuts
  • 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
  • 1/2 cup chopped basil (couldn't detect it in recipe)

    add a cup or so of arugula, kale or romaine, or canned white beans, these and nuts are optional

    VINIAGARETTE:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 dash of habanero hot sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (olives provide salt as well)
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

    Black Rice is a rarity and in ancient China it was called the forbidden rice. In my local grocery I happened upon Lundberg which has come out with a black rice. I'm going back to get more before they sell out. I am also looking for other suppliers. All I have to say is make a double batch because you will instantly want more. Gary raved about it. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. That does sound good.
    I would leave out the salt though - the olives add enough for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, actually I did leave out the salt, Probably will edit the post to reflect that, thanks

      Delete
  2. That looks like a delicious salad...and I bet it is! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment