Saturday, August 14, 2021

Lady Peas - a Real Southern Treat


Lady peas are a real Southern treat. I bought them at the Blairsville Farmers Market last week. They're the smallest and sweetest of the cowpea family, similar to black eyed peas. They're very tender and creamy. I cooked the peas on top of the stove like a stew with onions, fresh tomatoes, errant vegetables and mushrooms which I needed to use up before they went bad. Don't be afraid to experiment in your kitchen by adding uncommon ingredients to your recipes. To quote a cliché, waste not, want not.
After the peas cook for a while, give them a taste. If too bland, add some spices, if too tart, add a little brown sugar, some agave nectar, or perhaps a drizzle of honey. Last tip, cook them, then cool them down and refrigerate overnight. Warm up the next day and they are twice as delicious. Try this tip with soups and stews, you will be surprised. I like making big pots of food so I don't have to cook every day. If you have too much to eat in a timely manner, freeze some for a meal later in the year when you're too busy to cook. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, such good eating! I know I'd love them...though I've never had any. I just made a batch of Kitchen Sink Soup...much the same way...everything left over went into it except of course the kitchen sink. And then I made today's brown rice with some of the stock from the soup to flavor it. These left overs will probably be around for a month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thanks, sounds like you and I cook the same way, hate to waste anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning to have some soup for my lunch today.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment