Thursday, November 3, 2022

Fried Frog Legs


First time deep frying anything for me and it was fried frog legs!

Handle frog legs like you would chicken
it is possible for them to carry salmonella.
First I cut the legs apart because they marinate & deep fry better.

I marinate overnight in milk with lemon added
(didn't have any buttermilk)
with a little hot sauce and a couple of eggs mixed in.

Next day I drain the frog legs and dip in breading mixture,
which was corn starch, gf flour, and panko crumbs.
I dip the upper part of the leg back in marinade and
again in the breading mix, a double dipping that leg section.

I begin to get my peanut oil up to temperature
with a brand new temperature gauge
but it starts to smoke at 200 F
and I am supposed to fry them at 350 F
instead I drop 3 frog legs into the oil at 200 F
with smoking oil I didn't want a fire
oil really bubbles up and I turn down the burner
after a couple of minutes I check them and they are burning.

I decide the temperature gauge isn't accurate.
Later I call the company and they are sending a new gauge.

from right to left you can see the first three were burning
but the remaining frog legs were fine
the last one and the two on the top were the last to fry.
Burnt, no matter, Gary gladly ate those.

All in all they were really delicious
somewhat like chicken but with a briny flavor.
Gary asked, "Is there any more?" "No Sorry".
I made a dipping sauce but it was not needed or even wanted.
 A week later Gary is still raving about them.

2 comments:

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment