Saturday, December 17, 2022

Cuban Pork Chops - Oh My!

Oh My - these Cuban Pork Chops are the best I've ever made.
Yes they're a bit spicy but oh so delicious.
I'm already planning on making these chops again.
The chop cut I used was a loin which has some bone but not much.
Marinate chops for one hour in a gallon size baggie with
1-1/2 cups orange juice
juice of one lime (I only had a lemon so that's what I used)
2 garlic cloves minced with microplane
Squish the chops around in the bag making sure they're well coated.
After marinating the chops let juice drain into the bag.
Reserve the marinade to make gravy later.
Place chops on a plate and pat both sides dry with a paper towel.
Make a rub for the chops with:
1 tablespoon of dried cumin
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
1 tablespoon of dried garlic powder
1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
1 teaspoon more or less of ground cayenne pepper.
Mix rub ingredients well and place on a flat plate.
Dredge both sides of each chop coating well.
Depending on the number of chops you may have to make more rub.
Set chops aside to dry out for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile I started my cut green beans in another pan
adding a bit of butter, some orange juice and minced garlic.
Place chops in preheated cast iron frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Don't over crowd the chops (you can see I didn't heed my own advice).
Cook on medium high heat on one side till brown
then turn over to cook the other side of the chop.
Check internal temperature of pork which should be 145 F.
Let chops rest while starting on the gravy.
Add marinade to the same pan you cooked the chops in.
Scrape up all the spices and drippings.
Add 1/2 cup dry white wine and bring to boil.
Simmer till mixture reduces and begins to thicken.
If the gravy looks sparse add 1/2 cup more orange juice.
This gravy seemed thin so I added half a teaspoon of corn starch
mixed with water to thicken gravy a bit more.
Plate your chops and green beans and drizzle chops with the gravy.
I should have served the meal with bread to sop up the gravy.
Next time.

The red you see on the right side of this chop came from the bone,
the pork chop was definitely safe to eat.
I chose fresh green beans because my cat Bonkers likes green beans.
 A few summers ago I happened to drop a green bean on the floor;
Bonkers ran over and started batting the green bean around.
Bonkers carried the green bean around for several days.
I have saved three green beans to give him this week.
It's the holiday season and Bonkers is having a really good time.
I am having a good time watching him enjoy his green beans.
It's all about the little things this time of year. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment