Monday, February 6, 2023

Ghormeh Sabzi or Persian Herb Stew

Ghormeh Sabzi or Persian Herb Stew is the national dish of Iran and dates back 5000 years. I left out the meat, usually lamb or beef so this is a vegan stew. I used black beans rather than kidney beans, which are traditionally used. You could also substitute kale, turnip greens, or mustard greens for the herbs listed in the recipe, but the flavor will not be the same. I have a feeling I'm going to get more than my daily dose of greens eating this stew. This recipe is way out of my comfort zone, we shall see.

4 tbs olive oil
1 large yellow onion choppned fine
4 garlic cloves minced
2 tsp turmeric
2 cups of fresh baby spinach, chopped (I removed the stems)
2 bunches green onions chopped (green part only)
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley chopped (I used curly, that's what Gary bought)
1 bunch cilantro leaves, large stems removed, chopped
1/4 cup chives chopped (left these out since I had none)
2 tsp fenugreek seeds soaked 30 min (leaves are traditionally used)
2 tsp soy sauce
salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup water (or more if needed)
1 tsp dried coriander
1 lemon juiced
1 lime juiced (dried Persian limes are traditionally used)
2 cans black beans, rinsed, drained (kidney beans are traditionally used)

Notice the black beans, two different colors. They are two different brands, one Laura Lynn, one Goya. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Saute onion in the oil until golden. At the end add the garlic cloves and saute for one minute. Add turmeric to coat the onions. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook till herbs are wilted, three to four minutes. Add soaked fenugreek seeds and saute till incorporated. Pour in water, lemon and lime juice, salt, pepper, and dried coriander. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes. Add black beans the last 10 minutes so they don't become mushy.

When the dish was complete, I looked at it and said to myself, why did I make this? It look rather strange to my eye, so very green. Then I thought Gary probably isn't going to like this. So I put it in the refrigerator. The next day we reheated a small serving and amazingly we both liked it. We had two helpings. There is an addictive quality about all those herbs with the beans. I'm glad I decided to make this dish and had the nerve to taste it. Serve dish with rice. Rice and beans make a complete protein.

2 comments:

  1. With the exception of the cilantro, all those flavours are right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I was definitely surprised at how delicious this was

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment