Thursday, April 13, 2023

Bay Scallops over Risotto


Bay Scallops over Risotto

1 shallot chopped fine
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs butter
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/3 cup white wine or vermouth
4 cups seafood stock pre-heated
salt and pepper to taste
(stock has sodium no I didn't use salt)
additional butter and oil for mushrooms & scallop sauté
6 oz mushrooms of your choice, sautéed
6 oz fresh English peas, steamed
1/4 cup of grated Reggiano parmesan cheese
1package of raw bay scallops
10 basil leaves torn

This is the first time I've ever made risotto; it was well worth making. I began with trepidation because many a cooking show has seasoned chefs failing when making risotto. I previously splurged on a package of bay scallops from the frozen section of Aldi. I let them thaw in the fridge for a day. I also found some Arborio rice, fresh English peas, fresh basil leaves and fresh oyster mushrooms at Ingles.

From the get go, be prepared to stay at the stove the whole cooking time. I put the stock in a double boiler and heated it to just before boiling and turned off the heat. The water in the double boiler keeps the stock nice and warm. As mentioned on many a cooking show, this is the step which should not be avoided. Don't ever add cold stock or water to risotto. Drain your scallops and pat dry with a paper towel till nice and dry. First I sautéed the chopped shallot on medium heat in a heavy sauce pan till soft. Next add the Arborio rice and cook till warmed but not brown stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the wine or vermouth (I used white wine) and cook till rice absorbs liquid, stirring to be sure rice doesn't burn.

Now begin adding a ladle full (my ladle is about 1/2 cup) of warm stock (or water) and stir occasionally till all the stock is absorbed. Don't rush this process. Meanwhile in a separate pan steam your English peas. In separate frying pan sauté your mushrooms. Prepare your basil leaves. All the while you are keeping an eye on the rice stirring occasionally till all the liquid is gone. Then add another ladle full of warm stock and continue to keep an eye on the rice and stir till all liquid is absorbed. Keep on adding one ladle full of stock occasionally stirring till rice absorbs all liquid. This process will take at least 20 minutes of time. At the end I needed an additional 1/2 cup of water which I retrieved from the double boiler since it was nice and warm.

Sauté your bay scallops till heated through. Add your grated cheese, peas, mushrooms and basil leaves to the creamy risotto, stirring gentle till incorporated. Serve immediately topped with the scallops. Gary said he didn't need the scallops because the risotto was just perfect by itself. I can't believe I was so successful the first time making risotto. Be sure to use the Arborio rice; it's a special type of rice which lends itself to absorbing a lot of liquid and then becoming creamy. Enjoy !

2 comments:

  1. I often make risotto. There are 'cheats' versions around, but they are simply not as good. A bit of patience, a bit of time and deliciousness results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, all these years and I finally made risotto, lol

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment