Monday, May 22, 2023

Franz Kafka 1883-1924


At 40, Franz Kafka (1883-1924),
 who never married and had no children,
 walked through the park in Berlin.
 He met a girl who was crying
 because she had lost her favorite doll.
 She and Kafka searched for the doll unsuccessfully.
 Kafka told her to meet him there the next day
 and they would continue their search for her doll.

The next day, when they had not yet found the doll,
 Kafka gave the girl a litter "written" by the doll
 saying "please don't cry. I took a trip to see the world.
 I will wrie to you about my adventures". 

Thus began a story which
 continued until the end of Kafka's life.

During their meetings,
 Kafka read the letters of the doll
 carefully written with adventures
 and conversations the girl found adorable.

Finally, Kafka brought back the doll
 (he bought one) that had returned.
 "it doesn't look like my doll at all", said the girl.

Kafka handed her another letter in which the doll wrote:
 "my travels have changed me.
 the little girl hugged the new doll
 and brought her home, so happy she was.

A year later Kafka died.
 Many years later, the now-adult girl
 found a letter inside the doll.
 In the tiny letter signed by Kafka it was written:

"Everything you love will probably be lost,
 but in the end, love will return in another way".

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea whether the story is true or not - but I do hope it is.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment