Monday, November 20, 2023

Smoked & Marinated Frog Legs


Smoked & Marinated Frog Legs 

Imagine my chagrin when I open my thawed frog legs and see the spine connected to the legs. There's no graceful way to separate the legs since the spine is in the middle, so I'll marinate and smoke them whole. Don't be squeamish these are just like eating a chicken leg or back.

First I soak the frog legs in buttermilk for at least a couple of hours to take away any muddy taste. I'll make a marinade to be sure they don't dry out.

I whisk honey, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, sweet habanero sauce, brandy, thyme, cinnamon and nutmeg together. I let them marinate for one hour in a plastic bag refrigerated. Next I take them out of the marinade and let them sit at room temperature for 45 minutes. Then I brushed them with a sauce and put them in the smoker for 40 minutes. But they weren't cooked through so had to put them in the oven and I put more sauce on them. All that work and they were dry and not that tender. Back to frying them. Not everything I make turns out. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment