Friday, February 16, 2024

Sumac Potatoes


Sumac Potatoes

Ever since I learned about the Appalachian plant sumac, I have been intrigued. I used some of the leaves in my eco printing. But I wanted to try the actual berries in cooking. I knew I could harvest some locally, but just to be safe I decided to order some ground sumac from someone more experienced than myself. Today I got around to trying the sumac. I wanted to have a neutral ingredient to taste the sumac with and what's more neutral than a potato. Oh my word, this spice is rather addicting. Tangy, lemony, spicy and oh so delicious.


I cut the potatoes in wedges and boiled them. I might have left them cooking a little too long. I intended to roast the potatoes afterwards but they were already cooked through. I drained the potatoes and tossed them in one tablespoon of sesame oil,  one tablespoon of olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a generous amount of ground sumac. I'd cooked four russet potatoes and I must confess there aren't many of them left. Yes, they are that good. Get some ground sumac and keep it on hand. I'll be exploring this spice for other dishes, but what could be easier than sumac potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment