Monday, August 30, 2021

Leaves will soon be Drying

Sometimes I can't believe my good fortune. A perfect stranger from fb offered to give me a cutting of her elephant ear plant. Several months ago it was two tiny leaves. Now look at it. I didn't have the heart to cut any of these leaves till today. I don't think I can roll a slab big enough for the largest leaf so I picked a medium sized leaf. We shall see how one of these turns out in clay.

Then there are this green hosta leaves. I picked a couple of those.

Then this hosta with variegated leaves, and I picked a couple of them as well. The sun has taken a toll on the leaves on this lighter or variegated one which are not as forgiving to the heat.

It's getting to be that time of year when leaves may start drying up and falling, so I thought I'd better stock up on a few leaves before it's too late. Above you see some larger leaves drying. The drywall is twelve inches square so you have an idea of the size of the leaves. Of course they will shrink by about twelve percent which ends up being rather surprising sometimes. We expect the outer bands of the hurricane to hit later today or tomorrow so we need to gather up any loose items out-of-doors. Be safe, be well.

9 comments:

  1. Love those leaves. And the way your incorporate them into your work. I hope the hurricane doesn't cause any major damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I now hear thunder in the background the storm is moving faster then expected, we are facing nothing to coastal communities

      Delete
  2. I love the leaves too. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with them. I'll be thinking of you all down there with this hurricane, and hope all will be well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, thanks, if we don't get a tornado we will be fine, since we are not on the so called "dirty" side of the storm

      Delete
  3. Lovely leaves and a reminder to start gathering mine. If I want to keep them fresh for a long time I store them in large zip lock bags with wax paper between them.
    Looking forward to your leaf plates.
    We survived Henri and days without power. Stay safe. It's scary what a strong gust of wind can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks I store mine in zip lock baggies too, but the big one is too large for that I have the stem in water, we shall see. We are getting lots of rain but so far so good here. We have large trees surrounding our home and always worry when we get a lot rain along with the wind as some have a habit of uprooting.

      Delete
  4. Spring has sprung here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, thanks, oh well that will be pleasant won't it.

      Delete
  5. I hope the wild weather doesn't affect you too much. Your leaf dishes are looking good so far.. may the kiln be kind to them.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment