Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Precious Memories and Mementos

These pillows have been posted about before but precious memories and mementos are worth remembering and repeating don't you think? Back in the 1980s when Gary and I dated he mentioned he loved down pillows, they were so soft and nice to sleep on. Me, I like a firm pillow, but who am I to judge. To each his own, right? So before we got married I set out to make a set of down pillows for him as a wedding gift. At the time we both wanted to move to the mountains but were living in the city. I decided to design and make a couple of accent pillows for our, hopefully, future mountain home together.

I used to make quilts back then, back when all templates were made from cardboard, hand drawn and cut with a scissors. Each piece of material was cut individually. (Yes I did that hundreds of times). I didn't actually like the quilting part; I really liked piecing so that's what I concentrated on. At the time I had a terrible time finding real goose down for sale. I had to order it from New York. If I recall correctly I had to send them a check before they'd send me the down. The pillow is fastened on one edge with velcro and inside is a muslin liner pillow containing the down. I planned it that way so the pillow covers could be cleaned if necessary. 
Here's a photo of our bed when we lived in Florida, about 8 years ago or so. Both of those feline boys are long since gone but they loved each other dearly. We thought two males wouldn't get along, but they did and the female cat we had not so much, lol. We brought our cats from California when we moved to Florida. As Gary once famously said when I brought a stray kitten home which others offered to adopt, "Don't you know it isn't good for cats to moved from home to home". Truthfully the pillows have only been out for special occasions because if you have cats, well, you know why. (The bed quilt and background pillow were not made by me). All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Love those pillows. Definitely sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, thank good ness for memories

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment