Friday, October 8, 2021

Stuffed Orange Kombucha Squash

At the last farmers market I was drawn to this little known small round winter squash. I learned it was a kombucha squash.
Thinking it was like a North Georgia Candy Roaster type of squash with a tough exterior I readied my handy garage saw. I made quick work of slicing it apart and realized a kitchen knife would have done the job.
After slicing the top off I scooped out the seeds and discarded them. Should I have saved those seeds? probably so, too late now. After brushing the exterior of the squash with olive oil, I prebaked the squash for 20 minutes in a 350 F oven placing it on a parchment lined baking pan.
Meanwhile I sautéed half an onion, one red pepper from my garden, one small can of black beans drained and rinsed, one small can of diced tomatoes, one cup of frozen corn kernels, salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Last I sprinkled some shredded smoked gouda cheese over the top and baked the squash for another 30 minutes on the same parchment lined pan.
Next time instead of removing the top, I'll slice the squash in half lengthwise which will make for a better presentation and an easier task of stuffing the ingredients inside. Slice off sections of the stuffed squash to serve, the thin skin is edible or easily avoided while eating the sliced stuffed kombucha.
If you see an unusual vegetable give it a try, stuffing a kombucha squash is worth the effort. A vegetarian meal anyone would be proud to serve and particularly to eat. Yummy.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thanks, I like trying different foods, this squash also comes in green and is quite delicious.

      Delete
  2. How delicious...and I've never heard of Kombucha squash either. It's hard for me to venture into trying new foods, don't know why! Maybe a feature of my years. But I sure have tried them when others make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, I was just thinking of you today, hope is all well, market has been kind of a bust and wondering what to do with my pottery making, sort of sad

      Delete
  3. That looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi, thanks, surprisingly how stuffed anything looks so delectably delicious in photographs no matter who take the photo, lol

      Delete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment