Sunday, January 28, 2024

It Will Take a Month of Sundays


It Will Take A Month Of Sundays

I was gifted a very large bag of shelled almonds.
My freezer being full, I decided I needed to do something with them.
I measured out a small batch and
 blanched them by boiling in water for two minutes.
Then I submerged them in cold water and the skins slipped off
by my squeezing them between two fingers.
It took a while but it was only a small batch.
Next I roasted them with some olive oil,
thyme, and sea salt to mimic marcona almonds.
They turned out real tasty but are a bit hard on the teeth.

Faux Marcona Almonds

I decided to blanch the rest of the almonds to make almond butter.
Instead of boiling them, I read I could soak them over night.
So yesterday I soaked them in a big colander over a pot of water.

According to a nutritionist the skin of almonds
makes them difficult to digest.
The skin contains tannins which lower nutrient absorption.
Soaking almonds makes them easier to chew.
Soaking reduces the phytic acid which
lowers calcium, zinc, and manganese absorption.
Today I am slipping off the skins but soaking doesn't work as well.
I've soaked several batches in hot water which seems to help.
It'll take a month of Sundays to get them all peeled.
I know those two trays don't look like much.
Trust me that's a whole lot of almonds.
 My thumbs are witnesses to all the squeezing and peeling.
I'll have to get back to you about
making the almond butter another day.
Stay tuned.

1 comment:

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment